Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Little ELO?

So last night I was at the grocery store when I heard a song that took me back (way back) down memory lane. The song? All Around the World by ELO--you know Electric Light Orchestra. You don't remember it? Well it goes something like this, "Everybody all around the world I have a message have you heard the word? There's gonna be a party all over the world". When I was about 8 or so my friend Cheralyn (I don't even remember how to spell her name) and I would roller skate or simply run around in circles in her unfinished basement to the Xanadu record (and when I say record I mean the actual record with the blue label with a rainbow on it). It was awesome!

I loved roller skating. I had blue skates with red and white accents while Lysa had white skates with red and blue accents. I always wanted the white ones but the blue worked just fine. Remember when you first learned to skate down your driveway? Remember the really steep driveways on the block that were always there taunting you to try them? I remember when I got some hand me down skates that looked likes sneakers with wheels on them. Blue and gold if I remember correctly. Those were cool too. Ooooh and I had a very cool shiny roller skating jacket. Did it have an applique skate on it? I think so. Or did I just want one and now my mind has tricked me into thinking I had it? Remember when we skated to and from Burger King (did our moms know what we were doing?!) and I pulled Lysa by the balloon string wrapped around her wrist and nearly severed her hand? Sorry Lysa!

So what are some good roller skating songs you may ask? Here is my list:

Xanadu--duh
Centerfold--I didn't know what it meant
Freeze Frame
Whip It
Let's Get Physical
Another One Bites the Dust
Eye of the Tiger
Stayin' Alive
Disco roller skating at Classic Skate in Orem during my BYU days was fun as well. I lived for those Saturday nights. If you were my sister or roommate I'm sure I pressured you into going with me on more than one occasion. Where else could you wear short shorts and shiny jackets with tube socks, I mean come on!

So....even though I am pretty antisocial I think I will try to get a group of ladies (hey ladies!) together to go roller skating some night. If there are enough of us we won't be as scared of the teenaged hoodlums who probably hang out at the Skate City these days. Who's in? I promise not to wear short shorts!

5 comments:

  1. Seriously, no comments yet? I just wanted to say that I always thought the blue skates were better, pretty much anything you had was better. And I also wanted to say that I was afraid I might scroll down and see a Disco rollerskating picture of us.

    I remember going to skate city and holding onto the wall because I didn't know how to skate and then when I got to the red carpeted wall it was sooo scary-- no support. Remember the round benches? The black-lit city scene? The hokey-pokey? The DJ booth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im down maybe? Can I wear rollerblades instead? That was more of my generation... But seriously, that would rock!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Beth, I youtubed ELO - all around the world. It brought up a video of the song from the movie Xanadu. Have your seen that movie? was that movie an important part of your childhood? *scary*

    By the way, i will go skate with you but I refuse to wear roller skates. I also refuse to wear short shorts, one time is enough for me and that was your fault anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I never saw Xanadu but my friend had the record which was all I needed!

    ReplyDelete