Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Three Funerals and a ?-2008 Passings

Unfortunately it was not a cute movie with Hugh Grant.  2008 was a year that brought the passing of many dear friends and family.  Grandpa Ashcroft passed away last spring.  We knew it was coming and that he would be happier when reunited with Grandma but it was very hard nonetheless.  I felt guilty because I had not seen him for many years and was not able to see him before his death. I am sure he understands.  Penn and I made the trip for his funeral in Eagar, Arizona.  It was great to hear stories about him that I had never heard before.  He was a very hard-worker and kind but somewhat stern man.  I think he got softer the older he got.  One of my favorite memories of Grandpa is when he let Lysa have it when she said that the dinner that Grandma made looked like dog food.  It definitely was not funny at the time but showed the respect he showed and demanded for Grandma.  We loved riding in the back of his pick up truck when we were pretty young.  I miss him and missed sending him Oreos for Christmas.  

Jan Solis passed away in late May.  She is the mother of my best friends Melanie.  She died unexpectedly of a stroke.  She was a great friend to our Mom and even taught her how to swear (actually I think she was well aware of how to swear before working with Jan but that was the story).  I have so many fond memories of the Solis family.  Lysa, Penn and I were able to go to Phoenix for the funeral.  It was so good to see the Solis family.  We miss Jan and think of Ron and the kids often.

My friend Cecile Garcia was killed in a car accident at the end of September.  She was someone that I have worked with since I started at GDA over 9 years ago.  Cecile and I are the same age.  She has two young children aged 6 and 4.  This death was very devastating to me.  Cecile worked for our sister company ACF and I saw her about once a year and spoke with her a few times a year but every time we spoke it was like we were really good pals.  That is how she made people feel.  We always talked about kids and work.  She was very funny.  I was fortunate to be able to go out to L.A. for her funeral with Gary and other friends from GDA.  I miss her.

Our cousin Rochelle Ashcroft passed away at the end of the summer.  I had not seen Rochelle in many years but was very sad to hear that she has lost the battle with Cystic Fibrosis.  She is my third cousin to pass away from complications of CF.  Her brothers Adam and Gavin went before her.  We miss her and think of the Ashcrofts often and how they have had to bear more loss than most families.  

Well, I think that is it.  Some of my facts may not be totally accurate since I wrote from memory.  Even though we believe in eternal life and eternal families it is hard to be separated from those we love.  I am grateful for my living grandparents Grammie and Bompa and know that I will be devastated when it is their time to go.  

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad one of your favorite memories is one I would like to forget...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a year you have had. So sorry for all your loss and tragedy. One random thing we learned once Jack became bishop--he has funeral leave. He used it 5 times last year, but for no one he really knew, just inactive members of the congregation. Hope 2009 is better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Lysa. Actually I can totally see Sophia doing the same thing. I think you two are a lot alike-beyond the teeth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jaime-I still can't believe that Jack is the bishop. I have so many questions for you and he as Bishop and First Lady of your ward!

    ReplyDelete