Saturday, February 13, 2010

Advice

So Brady's mom loves a quote on the wall at Jimmy Johns: Experience is what happens when you don't get what you want. Ain't it the truth?! So here are so other little pearls of wisdom/advice that I gleened (sp?) mostly from my TV. I know, I need to get out a little more!

**Please don't interpret this as me thinking I know everything or suggesting that these little phrases can replace the scriptures, prophets, parents, etc. as places to look for guidance. Ok?

Try? There is no try only do. Oh Yoda, wise you are. Often the anticipation of doing something is scarier than actually doing it. The hardest part of running for me is the first few steps. Quinton is terrified of going on Splash Mountain at Disneyland. He has gotten himself so worked up about it he is literally frozen with fear. Well, not literally, I guess that phrase is overused but trust me he won't budge. He has dreams about it, he watches videos of actual
riders on YouTube, has us describe it in detail, etc. He is obsessed with being scared of it. If he just did it, Splash Mountain would lose its scary mystique. What is your Splash Mountain?

Just keep swimming. This is literal advice for me these days. "Hey Beth, you want to do a triathlon?" Me: "Sure". Me trying to swim for half a mile: "Panic!". Anyway, I like Dori's advice here. What else can you do? You've got to just keep on keepin' on!

Let it go. Keep moving forward. This is from Meet the Robinson's which is actually a really cute movie. My kids love it because it has little hidden Disneyland references and we LOVE hidden references especially of the Disney sort--also known as "Hidden Mickeys". Am I overusing quotes in this blog post? Trust me, I need to "Let it go". Easier said than done. This phrase is actually what got me thinking about this post.

You can't always get what you want. No no no. No no no. No no no no. It won't even help if you keep on asking. Yo Gabba Gabba anyone? We don't watch YGG much but this is a song from the Jack Black episode which is really really funny. My favorite part is the last sentence. No matter how hard you want something, most of the time you can't force it.

Your sister should be your best friend. Feel free to insert brother, mom, dad, spouse, son, daughter, etc. This is from my Dad and is good advice. He gave it to me when I was a teenager and annoyed that my younger sister wanted to hang out with me and my friends. Your family (in most cases) can be your greatest source of comfort, camaraderie, fun, entertainment, etc. What would I do without my family?!

I made a good choice...in [choosing] my best friend(s). I don't remember Mater's exact words from Cars but it is a sweet sentiment nonetheless!

Well, as you can see my scanner is working! Here are some nostalgic pics of some of my best friends.

Looking our best! Yes, we are a near-sighted bunch.

Wow, a picture with both the Merc and the Omni!

Brady and I in our younger years. He still looks young but not this young!








1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I was going to comment about something in your post but then I saw the pictures and cant remember what I was going to say... the glasses were sooooo HUGE. I am a little afraid of what your scanner might reveal.

    ReplyDelete