Monday, March 2, 2009

Depression

Beth, why so sad?  Are those tears?  

I am taking this way too seriously I know.  It all started out innocently enough.  I had heard good things about the books and in fact saw news stories about people camped out at bookstores at midnight just to buy the next installment.  Some would dress up and start reading the newest edition right there in the bookstore.  These people are a little strange I thought.  Now I am one of them. I don't have to wait for the next book to come out since I was a little late to jump on the band wagon,  but I am dreading the time when the last page is read.

Twilight?  No, it's Harry!

Our family started reading Harry Potter about a year and a half ago up at the lake.  We just finished the sixth book tonight.  The books have become a great family activity.  Brady reads out loud while the kids and I lay in bed listening (Sophia usually falls asleep) and then talking about our various theories.  It has been so much fun.  Our own little book club.

My depression is two-fold.  (If you have not read the books this is a spoiler alert.  If you have read all of them please don't tell me what happens in the seventh book--really, I might go postal!).  

Back to my depression.  I can't believe Dumbledore died.  I kept thinking no, this can't be happening.  Seriously, right now I am quite upset with J.K. Rowling.  Brady thinks he may not really be dead and I wouldn't be surprised but then again Serious was really dead and that was devastating as well.  Now you may notice that I may not spell everything correctly which is the magic of being read to, you don't actually see the words.  I am also upset because after the last book, that is it.  What are we going to do?  Lysa suggested the scriptures and I would like to think that is a viable option-maybe I should give them a chance but it will be very hard to compete.  Brady and Quinton are considering Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit and The Chronicles of Narnia but nothing will compare. 

Oh J.K. Rowling why not do one more?!  Its like crack for this 36 year-old mother of three, please!


2 comments:

  1. That's hilarious! I actually read the first book to save my marriage, but couldn't go any further. Jack, on the other hand...yep-one of the freaks at midnight (including the year he was chaperoning youth conference in DC and snuck out of dorms to pick up #6)! Might have to steal the idea of a family book club though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am seriously considering embarking on the Harry journey with my kids now. But then again, it causes so much pain! Good luck on finding a replacement series...

    Oh and by the way, you found your wit again! Hooray!

    ReplyDelete