Monday, August 30, 2010

Food....

So lately I have really gotten into food. Yummy food. Brady and I have a new favorite show. It is called Diners Drive-Ins and Drives. Mmm. You should watch it. We may plan our next vacation based on fun places from this show. I also watch a lot of cooking shows because I have a little TV at my desk and not much is on during the day when I sit down to get a little work done. I definitely have some preferences.

Giada: Love her and her recipes. Have I made any? No but I have DVR'd a few episodes--just in case! She always uses lemon and I love using lemon and lime. Plus that smile--I totally wish I had her smile.

Ina--The Barefoot Contessa: She bugs a little bit although her recipes seem pretty good. I do watch the show but why does she bug? Not totally sure. Just her manner-a little superior and into herself and her garden and her husband. Why no kids? Plus, why is she called the Barefoot Contessa?

Ask Aida: She is ok. The format of her show is a little annoying with the guy at the computer throwing out emailed questions from viewers. Also, the cheesecake lollipops did not work--I tried them--Aida lied....

Rachel Ray: Sorry, can't stand her voice. It sounds like she is always on the verge of losing her voice. EVOOOOOOOOOOnoooooo.

David Rocco: I have only watched this show like once or twice. The Italian nightlife and yatch shots were a little freaky to me. It seemed like the free-wheeling 70s and 80s or something.

So, the main reason I don't make any of the cooking show recipes is because they all use tons of butter and cream and milk-filled products. It stinks. I know they aren't trying to be evil and I try not to take it personally. You can only go so far with Silk and Rice Dream and Earth Balance "butter" spread. I do have some vegan "cream cheese" to try. We'll see....

I'm trying little by little to be a better cook and make more interesting meals for my family. I for sure am a better baker than cook but I am trying. Proof? I printed out about 10 recipes from the internet today. Time will tell if I will actually make them but they sure sound yummy (Thanks Jaime for the suggestion to look at ourbestbites.com--I just kept printing and printing).

My goal this week? To make homemade bread. I read an article in the paper about how to improve your financial situation and one tip was to buy a bread machine because you get such an exponential return on your investment. Seriously, bread is like $4.00/loaf. Well, no bread machine but what the heck, I can make bread, right?

5 comments:

  1. Ok. 1. I love ourbestbites.com! I have tried several of their recipes (mostly cookies and desserts). 2. You can totally make bread! My friend Janie (you met her on Sat.) only has homemade bread for her family. She spends one or two days a week making like 6 loaves. It's not hard, just time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok...I am going to check out ourbestbites.com, sounds interesting...oh, who am I fooling? I am going to grad school and working full time...can you say easy, pre-made store bought meals??? AND I love Giada, but am very jealous....she is too pretty and skinny and young-looking to be as old as she must be and to be as good of a cook as she is! Back to homework reading assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunt Krissie, you are such a slacker!! You are a great cook and have done your family proud!

    I also decided that Giada herself cannot come up with all of the recipes. I'm sure there is a whole team.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, my favorites are America's Test Kitchen and Rick Bayless (Mexico One Dish at a Time).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dad, I see you are on the PBS track. I'll have to try them out!

    ReplyDelete